Local children are set to benefit from a donation by the St. Modwen Environmental Trust*; more than £6,400 has been given to the Oasis Children’s Venture in Stockwell, south London.
Oasis Children’s Venture is a charity that manages three open-access play sites: a nature garden, cycle adventure playground and go-kart track offering local children and young people a safe place to play, explore and learn. The charity aims to make an impact on the lives of deprived children by combining innovative play facilities with the promotion of environmental education.
The donation from St. Modwen has funded:
- a new ‘enchanted treehouse’ with a stage for children to perform on – fully accessible for people with mobility difficulties and wheelchair users;
- fully-accessible toilet facilities;
- an outdoor puppet theatre;
- a storytelling space;
- magical glade solar lighting;
- an outdoor cooking project with a natural cob-oven where children can cook produce grown in the nature garden;
- new child-size tools, allowing children to become actively involved in a gardening club and helping to promote healthy eating to young people;
- enhancements to the outdoor classroom including outdoor bean bags and benches.
*The St. Modwen Environmental Trust has been established to support communities in which St. Modwen, the developer which owns Elephant & Castle Shopping Centre, operates.
Jess Thom, project coordinator at Oasis Children’s Venture said: “St. Modwen Environmental Trust’s donation has transformed the activities we can offer local children at the garden. Significantly, the funding has also allowed us to improve accessibility throughout the garden and provide better facilities for disabled children and young people, helping all local people enjoy the unique space the nature garden provides.”
James Stockdale, development surveyor at St. Modwen, said: “We are thrilled to play our part in helping such an inspiring charity. It’s amazing to see the children enjoying the nature garden and learning to grow their own produce.”